Grobbel’s Gourmet Burnt Ends Chili
Warm up to a flavorful Chili featuring our Smokehouse Brisket Burnt Ends
2 lbs Grobbel’s Gourmet Burnt Ends
2 dried ancho chilies, stems removed, seeded, and torn
2 dried mild chilies such as New Mexican or Guajillo chili, stems removed, seeded, and torn
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
½ tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 quart chicken or beef broth
1 bay leaf
1 lb canned red kidney beans, rinsed
1 16 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/8 cup cider vinegar
Oil or butter
Salt and black pepper
Scallions, thinly sliced
Cheddar, Jack, or Colby cheese, shredded
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add the dried chilies to the pan, stirring continuously, until a roasted chili aroma develops, 2-3 minutes. Do not overheat or smoke and burn the chilis. When the chilies are aromatic, remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil or butter to the pot, followed by the onions. Cook until the onions are soft and somewhat translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, brown sugar, and dried oregano to the cooked onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the garlic and spices are aromatic, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomato paste to the onion mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring and scraping down the bottom.
- Add the chilies to the onion mixture along with 2 cups of stock. Simmer for 10 minutes. This should reduce slightly.
- Puree the mixture either with an immersion blender or by pouring it into a blender. Blend until it is a smooth paste. Return the paste to the pot over heat.
- Add the Grobbel’s Gourmet Burnt Ends, cider vinegar, bay leaf, remaining stock, and the can of crushed tomatoes to the paste. Stir to incorporate everything. Cook for 1 hour.
- Add the beans and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Season the chili with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust salt and spices as needed.
- Serve immediately, or cool and refrigerate until ready to serve. Top bowls with desired garnishes.